Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 6 - WE DID IT!!!

We finished our 100 Miles today! Well, Mama did. I probably did 100 miles every day! My total was probably close to a bazillion.
It was a gorgeous day with blue skies and a few clouds. Cool and crisp. Geri had to leave today to head back home. Mama dropped our car at the end of the trail, and Geri took us to the beginning. Then off she went. We will miss her. She was a good friend to have for the trip!
Our walk today was the Tioga segment: 16 miles of major up and down. The total elevation change is only 150 feet, but the ascents and descents were close to 3500 feet each!!! Mama has done great for the entire trip, no blisters. But today one of her toes was misbehaving. She rewrapped it three times and it still was rubbing wrong. But she kept going. Good job, Mama!
The terrain changed a lot today. Didn’t see as much of the river, we were usually over 1000 feet above the river! Lots of muddy trails that slowed us down a bit. Lots of rain forest, then up higher it was drier and warm in the sun. No rain today. Lots of high, steep trails. I like to race along those, Mama gets worried. She says I will cause her gray hair, right through the color job! What does she mean by that?
Saw a gorgeous bald eagle floating on the thermals. Also some vultures. I chased a grouse, upset her a bit. She flew up into a tree and screeched at me for awhile. Silly bird.
We finished the walk in only seven hours! With all the climbing we did, Mama was sure it would take at least eight hours. But we are fit! WE ROCK!!!
Then we went to see the Toketee Falls. It was only 0.4 mile hike from the parking area, but lots of stairs to get to the viewing area. I got to do that walk without my backpack! I was very silly on my leash, though. Mama had to keep telling me to “wait”. Lots of people wanted to pet me so I gave them kisses and let them rub my tummy.
On our way back to the cabin we stopped for an ice cream. I like vanilla so that is what we had! Then back at the resort, Mama took me to play in the lake. (We went through lots of poison oak today and I needed to rinse off). I get so excited to play in the lake, but I was tired and the lake is cold and Mama threw the ball too far… I just didn’t feel like swimming out so far… so the ball is gone. Maybe it will float in overnight and I can play with it in the morning!
Mama and I are going to drive to the other resort tonight and try to get these blogs sent to Linda. We went two nights ago, but could never get an internet connection. Sorry about the delays! I know you all want to know how I am doing. The answer is “GREAT”!
Tomorrow we will hang out here at the resort. Just play a bit and relax. We will do the long drive home on Sunday. I will probably sleep a lot on the way home.
Your puppy pal, Karoo

PS Mama wants to add to the blog!
Well, I must say this 100 Mile walk has been quite the adventure. Karoo is the best hiking buddy ever. He never complains about how slow or fast I walk, or how many breaks I take (to pant when going uphill…). He always keeps an eye on me and responds very quickly to commands. He never complained about any part of the walks…if anyone was going to have a bit of a “whine-fest” it would have been me… but Karoo would not care and nobody else was there, so I didn’t whine. I sure thought about it on some of the (MORE???) uphill climbs!
We want to thank everybody for their support (monetary and emotional!) in this adventure! All proceeds will go to animal rescue and Karoo is very proud to have walked for dogs and cats that are not as fortunate as he. A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you!!!
Stacy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karoo,

    Way to go! Both you and your momma did pawsome! I'm impressed.

    You and I haven't met, but I know your momma. I'm Ducky Waggener, and your momma is my doctor. I haven't seen her much because I'm really healthy.

    I'm just about to turn into a BIG DOG (or that's what my momma says) because I turn 1 year old next weekend, on the 24th.

    My momma says she's sorry she didn't donate--she and daddy are having money issues big time, whatever that means (as long as they feed me, I'm good).

    Maybe you'd like to be a guest star on my blog sometime. It's called The Joyful Springer. Momma writes inspirational things based on photos of all kinds of dogs, not just Springers. Anyone can be a joyful springer 'cause it's just someone who springs into joy.

    Congrats to you and your momma for a BIG accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete