Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Our Adventures on Sunday!

Hi Everybody!
Mama made me get up to write this tonight. I was sleeping (!!) quite comfortably, thank you! BUT you do need to hear about our first day hiking!
We did the most eastern segment of the trail, leads to Maidu Lake in 9 miles one way. This is an “out and back” trail. It is wilderness, so no vehicles can get there. We started out by the North Umpqua River and followed it most of the way. The elevation change was about 1800 ft. One of the residents here said we may run into snow so Mama took some extra layers of clothes and socks. I’m tough, I don’t need anything extra!
I wore my cool back pack and carried my poopie bags, TP (for Mama), gloves (for Mama) and MY snacks! Actually, I am so excited and worked up over this trip, I have hardly been eating. Wasn’t even interested in my snacks… but did share Mama’s cheese and crackers and fruit! But that was later!
The start of the trail is not far from the campground, so we took a quick drive and parked, then off we went. It is very pretty here: lots of trees, the river, birdies and squirrels (gotta get those!). Saw lots of elk tracks (and some poop) but not any actual Elk.
The trail is well worn, so no chance of losing it and going the wrong way. Good smells, too! Lots of stream/river crossings with good wooden bridges. EXCEPT one creek was way rushing and no bridge! Mama walked across a log, I jumped in the creek, it tried to wash me downstream, but I am strong and got to the other side. (OK, Mama did help pull me up the bank… but I could have made it myself!). One the way back, I would not have been able to make it by swimming… so Mama took off my packs, left on the harness and hooked the leash to me. (Just in case….). BUT I followed her across the log like a champion!
We had some clouds, some sun, some breezes, some rain and SOME MOSUITOS! (Luckily not too often, but when they were there, they were horrible) The hiking was great, we did run into a little snow, which turned into more snow, then even more! We finally had to turn back (Whimpy Mama) because she was sinking to her knees and a couple of times to her hips. We were to the spot where the elevation change was 1300 feet in ONE MILE! AND all we could see was snow! Guess I am not too sad that Mama turned back!
We were almost back to the trailhead, when there was a split in the trail… didn’t notice it on the way out. Hmmm, which way to go… we took the wrong, LONG way. Oh well, that is OK, it added on the miles we missed my not going all the way to the lake! Mama thinks we ended up doing about 16 miles today. About a mile from the car I started grabbing sticks to play fetch! Hiking is good, fetching is great!
Finally got back after about 8 hours out on the trail. When we got back to the cabin, I fell asleep. I am a tired pup! Then we visited up at the main building for awhile. I greeted everybody, then fell asleep again! Mama wants me to eat some supper. After finishing this blog, I am going back to sleep!!
Tomorrow, we will hike the Lemolo section of the trail and Diana is going to join us!
Sleepily yours, your puppy pal, Karoo

No comments:

Post a Comment